As the Art Handler, you’ll be responsible to provide exceptional care in handling, movement, storage and packing of Christie’s property with primary focus and goal being the safety of both people and property at all times, ensuring all property are handled safely and efficiently to support exhibitions, private viewing, auctions and any other selling and non-selling events of Christie’s.
Key responsibilities (Not limited to the following):
• Liaise and coordinate with Shipping and Logistics Team, Specialist Departments and any related Departments to ensure efficient day to day in-house property movement, packing, installation & de-installation, property receipt and release to internal and external clients
• Complete Christie’s Art Handler training and all other training and refresher training
• Ensure accurate and timely receipt of property upon arrival at Christie’s with condition check, take and record condition images, provide accurate labelling, barcoding, scanning in JDE to complete the stock-in process
• Ensure all incidents, accidents, damages or losses, discrepancies are reported to the manager immediately and an accident report form completed
• Handle and provide exceptional property release experience to both internal and external clients
• Effective communication with specialist departments to support hilling, photography, filming, cataloguing, lotting up, reframing and any activities where necessary
• Maintain warehouse operations in adherence to the principals of 5S (Sort, Set In order, Shine, Standardise and Sustain) to ensure our warehouses are of high standard of cleanliness and organisation
• Perform physical bi-annual stock checks and ensure inventory accuracy of all warehouses
• Support exhibitions set-up for previews, private viewing, auctions and any other selling and non-selling events of Christie’s
• Perform property hand carry on occasion only when the hand carry is approved and in compliance to Christie’s handcarry policy
• Other duties as assigned by the manager
• High school diploma (college degree preferred)
• At least 1-2 year working experience in fine art handling and warehouse operation, auction house and gallery experience is desirable
• Fluent verbal and written English and Chinese (including Mandarin)
• Possess basic computer skills (MS Outlook Calendar, MS Word, MS Excel)
• Safety first attitude and exceptional care in handling and security of property
• Highly self-motivated and able to remain calm under pressure
• Very high level of attention to detail and organisational skills
• Excellent client service skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work well within a team and a proven ability to communicate well with internal and external clients
• Physical work, general bending, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling and overall material handling
• Heavy lifting (box, crate, heavy property etc.), typically up to 35 pounds/ 16 Kilograms per piece to be individually lifted and carried
• Extensive walking throughout Christie’s facilities and off-site venues and warehouse
• Use of dock equipment & tools, e.g., pallet jacks, crowbars, material handling equipment
• Use of Ladder
• Working at height (up to 10-meter platform)
World’s Leading Auction House
Christie’s is a name and place that speaks of extraordinary art, unparalleled service and expertise, as well as international glamour. Founded in 1766 by James Christie, Christie's has since conducted the greatest and most celebrated auctions through the centuries providing a popular showcase for the unique and the beautiful. Christie’s offers over 450 auctions annually in over 80 categories, including all areas of fine and decorative arts, jewellery, photographs, collectibles, wine, and more. Prices range from $200 to over $100 million.
Christie’s, the world's leading art business, had global auction and private sales. Our sales figures were driven by an increase in new buyers across all geographies coming to the market, including from growth markets such as China and through the Internet.
Christie's also has a long and successful history conducting private sales for its clients in all categories.
Christie’s has a global presence with 53 offices in 32 countries and 10 salerooms around the world including in London, New York, Paris, Geneva, Milan, Amsterdam, Dubai, Zürich, and Hong Kong. More recently, Christie’s has led in growth markets such as Russia, China, India and the Middle East, with successful sales, exhibitions and initiatives in Shanghai, Moscow, Baku, Beijing, Mumbai, Delhi, Jeddah, Abu Dhabi, Doha and Dubai.