At AstraZeneca, we are an equal opportunity employer that puts patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, a team leader, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
Do you have a passion for people, for science and the communications and management skills to design, develop and implement internal and external communications for a science-led biopharmaceutical company? Can you conceive, organize and run effective internal communications programs to help employees deliver one of the industry's most exciting oncology portfolios? At AstraZeneca, we're looking for an Associate Director Oncology Corporate Affairs to join us in either Gaithersburg, MD or Cambridge, UK and contribute to our vision of one day eliminating cancer as a cause of death.
The Associate Director Oncology Corporate Affairs, Haematology plays an important role in delivering against our bold ambition of one day eliminating cancer as a cause of death. This role will develop and deliver communications in support of an integrated global corporate affairs strategy for the late-stage haematology pipeline, enhancing and protecting the reputation of AstraZeneca's pipeline and brands and driving commercial success through impactful communications across internal and external audiences.
As a key member of the global Oncology Corporate Affairs team, the successful candidate will be responsible for establishing and differentiating our medicines in haematology, and leveraging our strong late-stage pipeline projects with a wide range of key audiences including employees, partners, medical community, academics and researchers, patients and the media.
Combining communications, public affairs and working closely with advocacy colleagues, this role provides expert support to the haematology franchise developing large external communication programs and campaigns, working closely with the regions, key markets, global project teams and a broad mix of internal stakeholders across Commercial, Development, Investor Relations and Global Media Relations. This role will support the execution of internal and external communications around clinical, regulatory and business milestones, helping to support the transition from pipeline to product, with a focus on prioritized indications. In addition, this role will support global market approvals, engaging with market access, patient advocacy, and marketing teams as appropriate and provide close leadership / executive communications support to our haematology senior leaders.
Candidate Focus & Challenge
- Support, develop and execute a global Corporate Affairs strategy, aiming to establish AstraZeneca as a distinct, emerging leader.
- Support an integrated approach to milestones, newsflow and activity planning to effectively maximise opportunities and prepare against issues
- Develop an impactful media relations strategy and a compelling narrative to bring to life our science-led pipeline and life-changing medicines within the portfolio with clear messages and sharp proof points
- Beyond brand communications, support the execution of multi-stakeholder signature programs and advocacy initiatives in collaboration with cross-functional colleagues aiming to establish AZ as a leader in designated therapeutic areas and to remove barriers to treatment adoption.
- Effectively develop and creatively leverage internal and external communications channels, including traditional and social media, working with 'channel leads' (e.g. Global Internal Communications, Global Media Relations, market comms teams, digital team etc.) as appropriate.
- Provide sound counsel to Senior Leaders, Investor Relations colleagues and provide effective communications and issues management support to brand leaders, Franchise teams, including media and message training.
- Support issues preparedness and crisis management to protect brand and company reputation.
- Identify issues and develop mitigation plans, including scenario planning, appropriate training for key internal stakeholders and issues tracking.
- Ensure timely communications and alignment on emerging issues across key internal stakeholder groups, including in markets.
- Support the development and implementation of timely, impactful and content rich internal communications programmes for our medicines and their indications to enhance employee engagement and brand awareness.
- Effectively manage and deploy agency support through clear objectives, KPIs, continued drive for excellence and innovation in support of the lung cancer franchise.
Candidate Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree
- Prefer Graduate degree with working knowledge of global Pharmaceutical market and innovative life sciences environment, ideally in specialty care products
- Minimum 7 years experience
- Established track-record of delivering impactful, strategic and content rich communications programmes and proactive stakeholder management with demonstrable measures of success.
- Substantial experience of healthcare communications gained in-house at a leading multinational biopharma company or at a global agency, backed up by deep understanding of regulatory environment, compliance framework, and perspectives of key external stakeholders such as physicians, payers, patients.
- Significant experience of leading issues management in a similar environment / for global brands/disease areas.
- Strong media relations experience, including in digital and social media.
- Strong proven leadership skills and collaborative behaviour required to drive successful delivery against strategy through a broad mix of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven management experience
- Exemplary written and verbal communications skills
- Creativity and desire to challenge the status quo
- Think strategically with ability to act flexibly
- Proven capability to influence and counsel senior leaders and teams across functions and geographical boundaries.
- Ability to provide effective coaching and guidance to peers and other team members.
- Ability to work in a global environment including understanding of cultural differences.
- Ability to combine strategic thinking with hands on delivery.
- Experience of creating and translating scientific / technical content for a broad range of audiences.
The role will involve travel, as required, to key markets and locations of leading medical congresses.
Interested candidates, please click Apply Now to apply.
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protecting colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US employees, and weekly PCR COVID-19 testing is required for those who are unvaccinated or have an approved accommodation.
All applications applied through our system will be delivered directly to the advertiser and privacy of personal data of the applicant will be ensured with security.