Participate in the preventive maintenance program of all-building equipment and rooms. Supervise, train, and inspect the performance of the engineering staff ensuring that all procedures are completed to the hotel's standards. Work closely with Director of Engineering in scheduling work and setting priorities. Also make decisions in the absence of Director of Engineering and act as the backup for calls when there are emergencies.
Responsible to manage and implement all repair, maintenance and capital expenditure projects, examine and ensure that all mechanical, electrical plant and equipment of whole hotel building are working efficiently and safe, and maintain the building furniture and fixtures. Reporting to the Director of Engineering directly and manages the Engineering Department in daily operation.
The major responsibilities are as follows:-
- Act in capacity of Director of Engineering during his/her absence.
- Coordinate Engineering Department to ensure that effective work control and productivity are maintained at all times
- Direct and supervise the general maintenance and repairs to ensure the building and its surroundings are in a first class condition at all times. Identify and arrange all work necessary in order to maintain the high standards whether mechanical, electrical or civil.
- Direct and supervise the preventive maintenance schemes for every important plant, laundry and kitchen equipment
- Ensure that all items of plant and equipment are operated in an efficient manner. Closely monitor the effects of servicing, maintenance and its condition
- Arrange and negotiate prices for all manufacturers/agents services contracts in accordance with the requirements of the relevant policy.
- Coordinate and supervise the work of service contractors to ensure that the terms of all such contracts for major plant and systems designated as critical are fully implemented
- For all work involving outside contractors or consultants, lead and direct the Engineers to draw up relevant specifications, assess the quotations and tenders. Confer with successful contractors and follows up closely to ensure that all work is completed according to specifications and within the required period and budget
- Supervise and monitor the purchase of spare parts and material required for the continued correct functioning of all items of plant and equipment. Issue the necessary purchase requests, ensuring that an adequate stock is maintained thereafter. Implement and monitor the inventory control
- Assess the long term requirements of the hotel relating to the overhaul/rehabilitation programs or renewal/replacement of engineering equipment. Advise the Director of Engineering accordingly and draw up comprehensive mid-term to long-term plans
- Study and arrange for the implementation of all relevant policies and procedures relating to fire and life safety, energy control and management, budget preparation and control
- Supervise the Engineers to maintain proper log and record for all the engineering plans
- Maintain contact with local authorities and Government Departments such as the Fire Service Department, Electrical and Mechanical Service Department, Water Supply Department, Building Ordinance Office, Drainage Department, Labour Department, Environmental Protection Department, China & Light Power Company etc. to ensure that all requirements are being complied with and that assistance or advice will be readily available whenever required
- Work closely with other department heads to review the current performance of their equipment. Recommend to the Central Purchasing Department to review all purchase requests and orders concerning the purchase of all kitchen, laundry and electrical or mechanical equipment
- Make frequent inspection tours to check the condition of the building and equipment and to monitor the work being done
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by Management from time to time
- The making of any new investment including capital expenditure.
- Recommend and organize where necessary the training and development of any member of the department with potential for advancement
- Supervisory responsibilities include planning, organizing and directing works within the Engineering Department and coaching and counseling engineering staff, as and when the need arises.
- Reports to the Director of Engineering any unusual happenings on the floors, public areas and back of house concerning hotel guests and employees of the Engineering Department.
- Maintain the staff turnover level as lower as possible
- Supervise office procedures efficiently, particularly time schedules, overtime and absenteeism.
- Experience: Minimum five years’ experience in building maintenance and operation including electrical work, plumbing & drainage and air conditioning.
- Education: University granulated in Engineering fields such as Electrical, Mechanical or Building Services Engineering etc.
- General Skills: Must be able to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy; prioritize, organize and follow-up; be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment; follow directions thoroughly; understand a guest’s service needs; work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team; work with minimal supervision; maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- Technical Skills: Strong working knowledge of building maintenance, electrical, plumbing & drainage and air conditioning equipment; working knowledge of plumbing codes, electrical codes, national/local fire codes, local mechanical codes, water treatment program, wiring schematic diagram for MEP systems, power and hand tools, meters, etc. as it relates to the technical trades; ability to enforce hotel's standards, policies and procedures with assigned staff, prioritize and organize work assignments, delegate work, direct performance of assigned staff and follow up with corrections where needed, instruct/direct staff in the operation, maintenance and repair of equipment, motivate assigned staff and maintain a cohesive team, ascertain staff training needs and provide such training, be a clear thinker in pressure situations and exercise good judgment, focus attention on details, maintain confidentiality of hotel guests and pertinent hotel information, work with minimal supervision, trouble shoot and use alternatives in emergency situations, understand guest inquiries, provide responses and interact positively, work in close proximity to high-pressure steam hot water, interact positively with hotel personnel and provide prompt solutions to problems.