(Re-advertisement - Previous Applicants Need Not Apply)
About the Island School Community Library
Island School has two libraries - (i) a school library for students and (ii) a community library open to the public. This position is for the community library.
Island School's community library is part of the school's outreach program. The community library is open to the public, 5.5 days per week.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 10.00am to 5.30pm and Saturday from 9.00am to 1.00pm.
Island School is looking for 1 full time or 2 part time library assistants to operate the community library. The community library is located on the Tai Wai Campus.
• Full time - 5.5 days per week . Monday - Friday 9.45am to 5.30pm and Saturday 9.00am to 1.00pm.
• Part time - 3 days per week. Part time assistants will work every second Saturday. For example: Week 1 - Monday - Wednesday: 9.45am to 5.30pm. Week 2 - Thursday - Friday: 9.45am to 5.30pm and Saturday 9.00am to 1.00pm.
Responsibilities of the Community Library Assistant
To ensure the successful operation of the Community Library including promoting the library to local community and participating in events.
To provide the support needed to maintain the efficient functioning of the Library; assisting in the maintenance of bibliographic & user records, maintaining facilities and promoting Island School.
• Organising library events to support local residents and increase use of the library
• Helping organize and promote outreach programs between the school and local community
• Helping with displays, posters, promoting new resources at the community library
• Ensuring the proper opening and closing routines of the Library
• Issuing and returning borrowed resources
• Daily shelving and ensuring general tidiness and good order of the Library
• Assisting in the cataloging & processing of books and periodicals
• Overseeing overdue resources status
• Helping the public to fill in the application form and registering their Octopus
• Preparing newspaper every day
• Answering public enquiries
• Keeping records and statistics of stream of people
• Maintaining library equipment and arranging servicing / repairs
• Providing backup / cover for the school library
• Managing customer / student discipline
• Providing administrative, data entry, procurement and banking support as directed
• Other duties as directed
Minimum typical experience :
2-3 years library assistant or administrative support experience.
Form 5 or above with 5 passes in HKCEE including English and Chinese
• Fluency in oral and written English and Cantonese (required). Fluency in Mandarin (desirable)
• Flexibility to respond to changing situation
• Self-initiative and can work independently and under pressure
• Reliability; initiative and follow up
• Capable of taking up assignments independently
• Excellent interpersonal / communication skills
• Ability to follow established standards and adhere to policy
• Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Other Microsoft Applications.
• Applies competent office administration skills.
• Excellent organizational skills
• Problem solving skills
• Applies good understanding of school’s or department’s major functions, work methods and procedures and their interrelation with other department’s responsibilities and activities
Applies basic knowledge of ESF’s organisation and familiarity with key personnel
Applicants must be a permanent Hong Kong resident or possess a valid visa to work in Hong Kong.
Closing Date: 23 Nov 2018
For enquiries, please contact Betty Tsu at +852 2762-7600 or [via CTgoodjobs Apply Now ].
Applications must be submitted online through https://recruit.esf.edu.hk
Step 1: Go to the Registration tab and register. You will then receive an email with an activation link.
Step 2: When your account has been activated, login to the system and click "Job Listing"
Step 3: Check the box next to the job(s) that you wish to apply for and click "Apply & Continue".
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided immediately upon request.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.