Main purpose of job:
With the HK SAR Government’s 20-year blueprint for hospital development, a budget of HK$500 billion has been allocated for new hospital building and refurbishment to provide 5000 additional public hospital beds and 90 new operating theatres. The Hong Kong healthcare sector therefore is critical to the Department for International Trade (DIT’s) commercial objectives in Hong Kong. Many UK companies need encouragement and support to take advantages of the significant opportunities that are available.
As the UK, represented by DIT Hong Kong, prepares throughout 2019 to be the partner country for Hong Kong’s Business of Design Week in December, the post holder will contribute to our Great British Design campaign through the delivery of tailored events.
In addition, this role will oversee the B3 Head of Education and A2 healthcare and education trade and investment adviser. The education and training sector in Hong Kong is booming with significant pressures on school places and strong UK expertise across the education and training landscape, this sector is ripe with opportunities for UK organisations. The UK government has prioritised this sector as a focus for British exports, establishing a unit in “DIT Education".
Both aspects of this role have the potential to contribute strongly to UK objectives around growth and jobs, but also provide an opportunity to ensure that Hong Kong and the UK can build links and learn from each other in these important sectors, which are crucial to our communities
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
Objectives Support medium-sized and large businesses to secure export wins;
- The person in this role will identify and pursue opportunities in the healthcare sector in Hong Kong, bringing with them specialist knowledge and developing a strong network of connections in the UK and Hong Kong. The post-holder will have direct oversight of the education sector, which the Head of Education leads. Both campaigns will work closely with colleagues in DIT China, particularly in the Greater Bay Area. They will also work closely with colleagues across DIT Hong Kong, specifically the technology team on HealthTech, the Deputy Director of Trade on broader opportunities arising from the Belt and Road Initiative, and trade policy colleagues in the broader British Consulate.
- The post holder will review work to date on the healthcare and education campaign. S/he will gather intelligence to maintain an up-to-date pipeline of business, and contribute to the overarching strategy, clarify priorities for the team, and provide guidance on how to deliver plans. S/he will use DIT’s customer relationship database to record stakeholder engagement. S/he will work collaboratively with colleagues, stakeholders and clients to deliver mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Using her/his knowledge and network, the individual will gather intelligence on opportunities, undertake proactive business development work on identifying UK companies in a position to benefit from opportunities and promote these opportunities to them supported by the DIT HK Marketing Manager. The post holder will consider business development visits in this context.
- The individual will then lead her/his team to support UK companies to come to Hong Kong, Macao and the GBA to do business. This will involve supporting UK companies and organisations already operating in Hong Kong to overcome challenges and hurdles. This is likely to involve leading her/his team to deliver services (e.g. bespoke research, programme arranging, event management) to UK customers with the potential to win large amounts of business and contribute to income generation.
- The post holder will lead the team, liaising with the other team members in HK, China, the UK (including the DIT Project Manager), including organising regular virtual team teleconference.
- The post holder will contribute to the GREAT campaign work with a particular focus on using the Health/Innovation is GREAT campaign to support Hong Kong business objectives. This will include specific events connected with DIT Hong Kong’s Great British Design campaign.
- The post holder will take the lead for the DIT HK team on a number of key stakeholders as part of the team’s new strategic relationship management approach.
- The post holder will oversee the work of the B3(L) Head of Education to meet their objectives. This will include advising on how the Head of Education can maximise the return on the opportunities in the education and training sector. This will include providing strategic guidance and advice to enable her to support UK education organisations in Hong Kong.
- The individual undertaking this role will also manage an A2(L) trade and investment adviser. S/he will ensure high quality people management is in place within their team, with clear objectives set, strong performance management and appraisal. S/he will encourage continuous improvement through learning and development plans. S/he will ensure budgetary/procurement compliance within the team, leading by example.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
All applications must be received before 18 February 2019 23:55 Hong Kong Time.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above
For more information and details on how to apply, please visit this link:
or by clicking Apply Now.
All applications applied through our system will be delivered directly to the advertiser and privacy of personal data of the applicant will be ensured with security.
|Job ref no.||CT3118690-01#6508|