Salary: Master Pay Scale Point 32 (HK$70,465 per month) to Master Pay Scale Point 44 (HK$110,170 per month).
Entry Requirements: Candidates should (a) possess Corporate Membership of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (Civil Discipline) elected after 5 December 1975, or equivalent [Note (1)]; (b) have a pass result in the Aptitude Test (AT) in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE) [Note (2)]; (c) have met the language proficiency requirements of Level 1 results in the two language papers (Use of Chinese (UC) and Use of English (UE)) in the CRE, or equivalent [Note (2)]; and (d) have a pass result in the Basic Law Test (BLT) [Note (3)].
Note: (1) In order to meet the entry requirement (a), applicants holding non-local professional qualifications only should prove the equivalency of such qualifications by the closing date for application, with supporting documents such as evidence of acceptance of their qualifications by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers for admission to its Corporate Membership (Civil Discipline).
(2) The results of the AT paper in the CRE are classified as Pass or Fail.
The results of the UC and UE papers in the CRE are classified as Level 2, Level 1 or Fail, with Level 2 being the highest.
For civil service appointment purpose, Level 5 or above in Chinese Language of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSEE); or Grade C or above in Chinese Language and Culture or Chinese Language and Literature of the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE), are accepted as equivalent to Level 2 in the UC paper of the CRE. Level 4 in Chinese Language of the HKDSEE; or Grade D in Chinese Language and Culture or Chinese Language and Literature of the HKALE, are accepted as equivalent to Level 1 in the UC paper of the CRE.
Level 5 or above in English Language of the HKDSEE; or Grade C or above in Use of English of the HKALE; or Grade C or above in English Language of the General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) (GCE A Level), are accepted as equivalent to Level 2 in the UE paper of the CRE. Level 4 in English Language of the HKDSEE; or Grade D in Use of English of the HKALE; or Grade D in English Language of the GCE A Level, are accepted as equivalent to Level 1 in the UE paper of the CRE.
Applicants with an overall band of 6.5 or above with no subtest score below band 6 obtained in the same sitting in the Academic Module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) within the two-year validity period of the test result are accepted as equivalent to Level 2 in the UE paper of the CRE. The IELTS test result must be valid on any date during the application period.
(3) All applicants for civil service jobs will be assessed on their Basic Law knowledge. A pass result in the BLT is an entry requirement for civil service jobs requiring degree/professional qualifications. Only those candidates who have passed the BLT will be considered for appointment. Attaining a score at or above 53 out of the full mark of 100 (i.e. getting at least 8 out of 15 questions correct) will be deemed to have a pass result in BLT. The BLT result will also constitute an appropriate weighting in a candidate’s overall assessment. For candidates who have not taken the BLT or have not attained a pass result in the BLT at the time of application, they may still apply for the job and arrangements will be made for them to take the BLT during the recruitment process.
(4) The successful candidates will be under the grade management of the Director of Civil Engineering and Development. They may be posted to different Works Departments including Civil Engineering and Development Department, Drainage Services Department, Highways Department, Transport Department, Water Supplies Department and other user departments, subject to the latest posting policies of the Director of Civil Engineering and Development.
(5) Applicants should attach copies of their CRE/HKALE/HKDSEE/IELTS results and proof of Corporate Membership of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (Civil Discipline), or equivalent, together with a detailed account of their academic work and relevant working experience to their applications. Applications without provision of copies of the required documents will not be considered.
Duties: An Engineer is mainly deployed on the planning, design, implementation and maintenance of civil engineering works; and administration of civil engineering projects in areas such as land and infrastructure developments, provision of water supply, transport and port facilities, sewage system, etc [Note (4)].
Terms of Appointment: A new recruit will normally be appointed on civil service probationary terms for three years. Upon passage of probation bar, he/she may be considered for appointment on the prevailing permanent terms.
How to apply: Applications should be submitted by one of the following means:
(1) Complete the application form [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)] and send it by post to the enquiry address on or before the closing date for application. Application forms are obtainable from any Home Affairs Enquiry Centres of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centres of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau’s website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Please specify “Application for the post of Engineer" on the envelope. To avoid delayed or unsuccessful delivery of applications by post, please ensure that the correct address is clearly printed or written on the envelope and sufficient postage has been affixed before posting. Mail items bearing insufficient postage will not be delivered to this Department and will be returned to the sender or disposed of by the Hongkong Post, where appropriate. Applicants will bear any consequences arising from paying insufficient postage.
(2) Apply on-line through the Civil Service Bureau’s website (http://www.csb.gov.hk) on or before the closing date for application.
Applicants should submit the required documents mentioned in Note (5) by post or email ([via CTgoodjobs Apply Now ]) to the Appointments Section, Civil Engineering and Development Department by 29 October 2021. For those who apply on-line, they should quote the on-line application number in the email or on the envelope and every page of the copies of the required documents when submitting the documents by post. An automatic acknowledgement message will be issued to the applicants when the required documents are submitted by email.
Applications not made in the prescribed form or which are incomplete, late or without provision of copies of the required documents will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide their email addresses on the application forms. Applicants who are selected for interview will normally receive an invitation in about six to eight weeks from the closing date for application. Those who are not invited for interview may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Contact Address: Appointments Section, Civil Engineering and Development Department, 14/F., Civil Engineering and Development Building, 101 Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon.
Enquiry Telephone: 2762 5119 / 2762 5115
Closing Date(dd/mm/yyyy): 22/10/2021 23:59:00
Web Site of Department: http://www.cedd.gov.hk
General Notes: (a) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(b) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(c) Civil Service vacancies are posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates selected for these vacancies will be appointed on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service and will become civil servants on appointment.
(d) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(e) The information on the maximum pay point is for reference only and may be subject to changes.
(f) Fringe benefits include paid leave, medical and dental benefits, and where appropriate, assistance in housing.
(g) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment examination and/or interview.
(h) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview/written examination without being subject to further shortlisting. Applicants who have declared disabilities found suitable for appointment may be given an appropriate degree of preference over other applicants whose suitability for appointment is considered comparable to that of the former. The Government policy and other related measures on employment of persons with disabilities are set out in the booklet “Employ People Based on Their Abilities – Application for Government Jobs by Persons with Disabilities" which is available for reference on the Civil Service Bureau’s website at http://www.csb.gov.hk under “Administration of the Civil Service – Appointments".
(i) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the enquiry address.
(j) Towards the application deadline, our on-line system would likely be overloaded due to large volume of applications. To ensure timely completion of your on-line application, it is advisable to submit the application as early as possible.
|Job ref no.||44851|