Under the direction of Invictus’ Academic Board, the purpose of the job is to be Invictus’ Principal(P) of the Secondary school at the campus, as well as to be the Senior Class Teacher at the school. The position of P will encompass both academic, teaching and administrative duties.
This position works with the Head of Schools, VP of secondary school and school staff. The P reports to the Academic Board or its representative.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
1. Teaching & Learning
- Develop a school environment which is supportive of learning and high achievement among the students.
- Develop and provide appropriate learning and curriculum programmes and methods of instruction that meet the needs of all students in the school and timetabling to support them.
- Promote effective teaching and learning practices across the school.
- Assist in the development of the school curriculum and assessment policies.
- Implement systems for recording individual pupils’ progress and ensure that parents are informed regularly of the progress of their children at the school.
- Assist the Principal in supporting the monitoring and evaluation of teaching and learning across the school and the development of improvement plans.
2. Leadership – School Development
- Develop the education aims and objectives of the school and devising strategies to achieve them.
- Co-ordinate the school plan and policies for approval by the Academic Board, Examination Board and Board of Management.
- Nurture the school staff and guide them in achieving the aims, objectives and plans of the school.
3. Management – People & Teams
- Develop a good working relationship with fellow colleagues, parents and other stakeholders.
- Treat all staff with respect and develop positive relationships. Foster a harmonious working environment.
- Assist in staff development in-service and in the identification of the staffing needs of the school – i.e. teaching and support staff.
- Maintain effective communication systems with pupils, staff, parents and colleagues.
- Implement all school policies with an understanding of their rationale.
5. Organisational and Administrative Management
- Day to day management of the school, including the planning and overseeing of the daily time tabling of classes.
- Professionally handle matters of student discipline, in the promotion of good order and general supervision between classes.
- Be responsible for the roster of absent teachers and the implementation of and monitoring of relief teaching staff.
- Supervise break time and lunch time scheduling.
- Morning supervision prior to school opening.
- Facilitate open days and nights and award nights.
- Assist with the enrolment/assessment of the First Year Cohort.
- Ensure the security of the school building and safe keeping of property.
- Conduct the ordinary activities of correspondence, making reports and returns of information as required by the Board of Management.
6. Self-Awareness and Self-Management
- Appreciate the importance of the Principal/Deputy Principal relationship, the relationship with other members of the school community and the importance and overall impact of effective working relationships.
- Set a good standard of professional interactions and ensure professional relationship boundaries are in place.
- Be aware of his/her skill set and be willing to seek help and advice when required.
- Always uphold professional integrity, e.g. discretion, confidentiality, loyalty and trust.
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Teaching or pedagogical skills.
- Passion for developing young learners.
- Administrative and organizational skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Leadership skills.
- Good composure and disposition.
- Computer literacy in MS Office.